[korgypark] Re: Midi channels

  • From: "Thomas Anderssen" <thomas.anderssen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 08:05:24 +0200

Good morning, and congratulations Jim!

On 10 Jan 2002 at 17:24, cdmando wrote:

> Wow this worked and I dont even have the PC I/F working! I just used the
> midi port on my Aardvark LX6 and went straight to the Korg IN port then from
> the THRU on the X5 out to my Alesis Sr16. Using the X5 MIDO OUT did not
> work. I had to use the THRU port.

Of course - the MIDI OUT jut sends out the messages that you play on
the X5 keys, that is the reason why there is a THRU connector. It
just does that - patches the incoming MIDI thru.... but if you send
messages to the X5 via the PC I/F port, they will come out from the
OUT connector...

> I sent the bank change of 7425 and set the
> Sr16 to ignore bank changes. The results were exactly what I wanted! No
> channel 10 playback from the X5 at all yet the info was still passed thru to
> my Sr16. I guess this would still be easier with two midi ports but since I
> only have one it works for me!! Thanks to everyone for the help!

Your setup should work fine, just some notes:

Since you have three units connected in serial on the midi line,
there will be slight delays in every unit because there is some
electronics between IN and THRU connectors in every unit.

This means that the dum machine gets its midi data slightly later
than the X5 which in turn has already got the data later than the
LX6...

This can cause a timing problem in the music if your midi data is
dense, i.e. at a given time you have to get a lot of data to the LX6,
the X5 and the SR16. Partly this is why people tries to get
individual Midi Out:s för each unit. Mostly people uses some sort of
patch bay. There is no good solution to this, other than using
individual Midi Outs! In theory you can have up to 15 units connected
in this serial way, but the timing would get awful!

In fact, you have three midi outs available on one PC if you have a
X5: Using the PC I/F you can have X5 on it's own sequencer port (In
Cakewalk named "PC I/F Synth Out"), the X5:s MIDI Out on another port
(in Cakewak named "PC /IF Midi out") and the third midi out on the
Joystick port of your soundcard (called SB MIDI Out). So you could
have each unit on its own port.... ;-)

Good Luck.
Thomas

> Jim
>

> then consider the following:
> > - You have only 16 channels to use
> > - All the data sent to channel 10 will go to the X5 internal sound machine
> > AND in parallell to the MIDI OUT connector.
> >
> > Now, if you send a bank change to bank 7425 in this state, what happens?
> > Well, the X5 will turn channel 10 to "Timbre Off", i.e. no sound will be
> > produced regardless of what data comes out of the sequencer on that
> > channel. This is assuming, that you in Global mode has set Bank Select to
> > ENA, otherwise it will ignore the bank change message.
> >
> > As far as the drum machine (on the MIDI OUT wire) is concerned, it may do
> > two things: Ignore the bank select message and continue playing (assuming
> > that it has bank change disabled) or try to change to bank 7425, which
> > probably do not exist, in which case the drum machine will either stop
> > producing sound, or go on drumming...
> > You have to rtfm for the drum machine to be sure, or simply try it.
> >
> > This was a lotta text, but maybe it clarifies some stuff... It took me
> about 6
> > moths to figure this out, when I started, so Good Luck...
> >
> > cheers, Thomas
> >

> > On 8 Jan 2002 at 9:29, cdmando wrote:
> >

> > > But wouldnt that also prevent the drum machine from getting the
> information
> > > as well? Or will everything on channel 10 still be passed thru to the
> drum
> > > machine?
> > >
> > > Thanks!!
> > >
> > > Jim