[JA] Re: Spyware

  • From: thepccat@xxxxxxxx
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:11:32 -0800

I'd hate to make a prediction, but it would be that you put NO spyware on
her computer.

Spyware is often gotten by surfing "in dangerous waters"  [for example,
p***] and I presume you do not do that ;-).  Also, using the settings in
IE to prompt before downloading or installing will shield you from much
of the scumware out there, even if you stray from calm waters. In bad
neighborhoods, one can shut off javascript, and/or ActiveX, etc. to good
advantage [your mileage may vary].

Installing watever free software is urged upon you when you see a popup
ad is an excellent way to get spyware.

I had been surfing around awhile before I got my first spyware, Comet
Cursor [curser?].  It was clear something new was on my computer. I
surfed to the manufacturer's site and found out, from them, how to make
it go away. *Then* I got Ad-Aware -- to find out I had very little
additional stuff, mostly cookies, which are of very little practical
consequence. You generally don't need to have Ad-Aware installed all the
time on the computer, a yearly check is often enough [again depending on
where you surf and what you're up to].

I had lost the earlier post advocating use of Ad-Aware, etc., so am glad
for your reply. I'd like to quote something for you -- and anybody else
considering using scumware detecting softwares. It is a detailed
overview, makes several good points, well written, and just arrived in my
inbox. Since you don't have regular Internet access, I take the liberty
of a quote; otherwise I'd bow to rights, to a higher degree, and give a
URL.

[by the way, BootLIST is a great tech ezine, is free {if you have need
for bootdisks, partitioning, formatting, you would be well advised to
visit his site}, but accepts small donations as well {I snailed him a
check for $3 to East Brunswick, New Jersey :-) }.]

-------
  http://www.bootdisk.com/ 054 October 2002
  The BootLIST
   Welcome to the 54th edition of The BootLIST

[extract]

 4) Parasites

     Sandra H. posts - If you are experiencing problems with your
     computers performance and can't understand why consider checking
     your computer to see if it is loaded with parasites (Spyware). I
     have a new computer Gateway 500X, Windows XP and have the Windows
     XP SP1 installed. Recently I started having alot of performance
     problems with my computer. After a process of elimination and
     alot of patience I discovered my PC was full of nasty little
     parasites (Spyware). I went to a [PC help] website and with the
     instructions from that website [I] very carefully uninstalled
     these nasty little bugs. Then I installed a couple pretty good
     antispyware programs SpyBot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. My
     computer is back to excellent performance and I couldn't be
     happier. These nasty little Spyware bugs can really screw up your
     computer. I Know I've been there. Hope this helps someone.

     *** An important note before you use anti-spyware apps on your or
     another's PC. Removing certain spyware components may also cause
     your client's favourite program not to function unless the
     program is installed again [with its spyware parts].

     What often happens tho is that many folks download a free
     program, install it, use it for a short while, uninstall it, but
     the spyware components often remain running every time you boot
     up. This becomes evident when you use a program like Ad-aware to
     ID the programs [before you remove any] and find out they are not
     being used anymore anyway.

     What caught my eye in this item was that Sandra referred to
     spyware as "parasites". It's a good analogy for the above reason
     I just talked about because even if a program is "uninstalled", a
     .dll from that program may remain and still be loading and
     active. One really has to remove spyware first as a general
     tuneup procedure before you can tell if you have a "real" windows
     problem or not.

     You may disable a clients favourite program temporarily, but then
     if the system is working fine with no niggles without it at least
     you found the cause. A solution my be of course to try a
     different app that does the same functions the client wants that
     either doesn't have a spyware component, or a spyware component
     that doesn't affect the system in a negative way.

     Also, it's important that, if using an anti-spyware program, that
     you learn about it first and note what changes are being made.
     Anti-spyware programs may disable certain core windows files you
     may need later on in order to do certain upgrades. Item #9
     addresses one such "issue".

     However, spyware can be most damaging and it's surely worth the
     risk using a program like Ad-aware to clean your system. For
     example, for fun I was going to suggest a neat Halloween screen
     saver in this newsletter. So of course I downloaded it and tested
     it in advance. It seemed cool but after I uninstalled it I still
     had 2 more items in the Task Manager that I couldn't disable
     using msconfig. Then my html editor started freezing and so did
     Netscape. I ran the latest Ad-Aware and it found 14 spyware
     components running including MS's alexa.

     Every one of the 14 spyware entities was caused by a _single_
     free screen saver install. Just imagine if you have a few teens
     at home like I do that download every supposedly "free" thing
     they come across.
------

thepccat

[I guess I can forget the "no tags request" address in good conscience,
now that is seem it no longer removes the tag.]

[...]