[JA] Re: Juno vs real Internet mail

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: johnjon@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:08:21 -0400

Sorry to be a few days late:

JJ> I have always used my ISP, because they have a local number
> I can dial which is never busy unless something is broken;

If one ISP is a local phone call away and another isn't, yes that's
enough to decide the question.  Here in the central city that's not a
consideration, since they all want to compete for a piece of this action,
so I never get a busy signal.  However, there are many rural and some
suburban areas where traffic is too light for cheapskate operations like
Juno to survive.  Easiest way I know to find out is, try installing and
look at the phone numbers they offer for your area.

JJ> ...and it works with both Windows and Linux;

If you've got to use only Linux, have to get rid of your Windoze machine,
cannot dual boot then this question looks like a killer.  Some smart
people may know how to make Juno's dialer work with Linux, or why it's
worth the bother, but I don't.  Is there a reason you need to use Linux
only?

JJ>...and they answer the phone when I call them ten miles away, or call
> me back PDQ if their lines are full and I have to leave a message.

Yes, that's what you're paying premium price for.  Not mechanical
service, but human service.  It's the same as for premium operating
systems and applications vs free or cheap ones.  Free software and free
ISPs aren't technically inferior.  Well, sometimes they are, at least
somewhat, but the main thing you don't get is personal attention without
paying extra.

If Juno paid someone to talk a few minutes to someone like me who pays
them nothing, bang there goes the hope, faint as it was, of making a
profit off me for the whole year.  You don't get personal attention from
a TV broadcaster, either.  If you actually need someone to talk you
through difficulties then free software and free ISP will be too
expensive for you.  Millions of us get along without such frills, but
more millions still eat the higher priced spread.  Some of them actually
benefit, though most are throwing their money away.