[JA] Re: Juno vs real Internet mail

  • From: James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jbh1492@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:36:50 -0400

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:55:04 EDT Julian B Hilaire <jbh1492@xxxxxxxx>
writes:
JBH> Juno can handle MIME attachments.

Notice that the header said the message was made by Juno version 4.11,
which can do such things.  Version 5.33 also can, and has greater
versatility creating MIME for inline pictures and other fancy stuff in
the message.  Version 1.49, which our rodential friend uses, does none of
the above.

JJ> Does Juno have size limits?  And if I understand, it works
> with Netscape Mail; if so, do you still need Juno's software too?

The antique Juno 1.49 reader has a severe size limit.  Something like 56K
per message.  Some people find it to be a frequent nuisance.  I don't
know of a size limit in the reader in versions 4 and 5, but the company's
servers limit each message, including attachment, to 2 Megabytes for free
riders.  Paid users ($10/month) are allowed longer messages.  The more
important benefit of paying is you get lots more Web time and fewer
pop-up Web advertisements.

Juno mail can be divided into three parts:  User software, dial-up
connection, and mail server.  All are free (though limited) but Juno only
accepts dial-up connections from computers using their software, which
only runs under MS Windoze.   If you get connections another way, I think
the server was opened up last month to serve all POP3 standard mailers
including Netscape Mail.  Then again, if you get connections another way,
there isn't much advantage to using Juno, unless you really like their
mail user software.   Which I do, but perhaps you're trying to avoid it.