[JA] Re: Juno vs real Internet mail

  • From: jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx
  • To: johnjon@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:13:32 -0400

JJ> If Juno is open to all mail applications, then it should work under
Linux.

It depends on which "it" you are talking about.   I am confident
competent  investigations would turn up some Juno mail things you can do
under Linux.  I am not confident you can use Juno's dialup connections
under Linux.  I am confident you cannot use recent versions of Juno's
mailer under Linux.  Specify what "it" is, and someone on the
Juno_accmail mailing list may be able give you an answer.   However, Juno
appeals to a different customer base than Linux does, so maybe not.
Anyway, questions about different "its" working are likely to generate
different answers.

If you ask the vaguer question, "Is Juno under Linux a good idea?" I
figure the answer will be, "No, you will invite unnecessary difficulties
that way."  Unless, of course, unnecessary and unexpected difficulties
are your great hope of avoiding boredom.

JJ>  So then it's just another ISP, with a fairly low rate,
> and some restrictions -- like to dialup connections
> (my ISP keeps pushing DSL, for example, and even T1)

Last I heard, Juno also offered DSL connections.  It doesn't fit well
into the company's discount orientation, since they have to buy DSL
access from another company at a high wholesale price that leaves little
room for retail discounts.  Anyone who wants to pay for DSL has less
reason than I do, to want Juno.

I know someone who loves AOL's mailer enough to pay extra for that
company's DSL service, so perhaps there is also someone who loves Juno's
mailer that much.  I figure, on the other hand, many combinations that
are possible do not make much sense, and Juno/DSL is one of those.

JJ> and with some restrictions on access time (I have none), message size

> (none that I know of), and server storage (I must have one but have
> never hit it; I got nervous the other day when a list server I am on
went
> berserk, got in a loop with someone on Hotmail with a full mailbox, and

> generated 1500 messages in an hour before it was shut down).

None of the limits ever bothered me.  I don't think I have ever filled
10% of my allowances.  However, there are probably a few million heavy
users who would suffer under such limits.

The only people I ever knew who suffered under the limits of free Juno
were children.  Their parents eventually decided to pay $10/month to get
rid of the limits.  As far as they are concerned, paid Juno is unlimited.
 The children would prefer AOL since that's what their richer friends
have, but less prosperous parents have no intention of paying $22.

Someone else's berserk software?  A mailbox limit sounds like partial
protection against that.  The loop must be broken somewhere, and that's
somewhere fairly harmless.

JJ> Those who want real flexibility get their own domain registered
> and then their own mail address (mousetrap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
> and then they can move ISPs at will without losing their address.

Goodness gracious.  Do you know many people with the technical and
administrative sophistication to keep such an arrangement from
degenerating into fiasco?  Apart from you or Don, I don't.  Merely trying
to figure whether Juno mail ought to be counted as "real" already pushes
my own mental limits.