[JA] Re: Juno vs real Internet mail

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:25:29 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Cat and all... :)

A couple small points..

The Entity currently known as James E Henderson emitted:

>-- Attached file included as plaintext by Ecartis --
>-- File: jaccfaq.txt

Text attachments to the list get converted to inline by the Ecartis
software that powers this list.. Of course, any other attachments
are killed by Ecartis. (These settings are my choosing)

>16  How can I join Juno_accmail?
>To subscribe to the Juno_accmail Mailing List, send a message to:
>ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As you may recall, the DHS address went away after they started
charging John.. So now the only address for the Ecartis or any list
thereon is @freelists.org. There is no more @freelists.dhs.org.

>Accmail won't sell your name to advertisers, but the messages we send
>to Accmail go to hundreds of people we don't know.  Some people like

I know this is a quibble, but the list's name is Juno_accmail, not
"Accmail". There is a list called Accmail hosted on
listserv.aol.com, and it is in fact the progenitor of this list and
"sister list" to J_a. Because of this, this list should only be
referred to in name as "Juno_accmail" or J_a for short.

>19  Where did Juno_accmail come from?
>
>Wow, said a bunch of amateur Internet old-timers in 1996, free mail?
>But only mail?  No file transfers?  How do we overcome that problem?
>A few months after Juno started, these industrious people cooked up
>the "Juno_accmail Project" to help people use E-mail and UUencoding
>to send and receive files, including programs and Web pages.  There
>were already other accmail operations, for example at the University
>of Maryland, for people who had E-mail but not Web or FTP service,
>but this new one was set up with Juno users in mind.

Correct, this list descended from the list accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
However, part of the reason for starting this list was political.

Although there were unique challenges to accmailing on the Juno
software (message size limits, no attachments, etc), the community
on the Accmail list didn't really care for discussion of the Juno
software, and since most Accmail users were international and Juno
was US-only, there was some antipathy towards the subject of Juno by
the international users. So in '96, Ed Bockelman founded the
Juno_accmail list. Later when Ed B. went on to other pursuits, Alan
Harrell took over the list, until I inherited the mantle in '98 or
'99 or so.

-=Brian=-
rm -rf /bin/laden