[jhb] Re: FSX and Win 7

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 16:34:54 +0100

Hi Kev,

I took some time before deciding to take the plunge and switch to W7. I know that no increase in performance should result from the change but I certainly get slightly higher fps with W7 than I was getting with XP. No idea why.

I also seem to be getting greater FSX stabillity, which was my main reason for changing. I occasionally still get scenery spikes but that's almost always when I'm testing something that requires the AG slider to be turned to max. From what I've read this problem can be there whichever OS is in use and however good the system spec.

If I read you rightly and you are intending to run FSX on one PC and network Plan G etc to it on another, then I swapped to the network approach before changing to W7 and that brought a very evident improvement in FSX performance.

This machine, with Plan G, FSC and Active Sky on it, is still on XP Home. The FSX machine is on W7 Professional 64; the OEM version.

Gerry Winskill

Kev Townsend wrote:
Thanks Frank

Obviously as this is identical to the spec of my current FS machine which I've had for around a year, I have no fear that, as you say FSX will literally fly on it.

My query was more regarding Win 7, coupled with the guts of the machine, as to the possible enhancement of the current sim experience. Would FSX actually run better on the latest MS platform, or are there drawbacks?

The new(er) machine has 2Gb extra RAM, but the graphics card are the same with 512 on-board. Same Tb disc. Any improvement would need to come from Operating system, and would this be perceptible? Perceptible enough to spend the time reloading, re-registering etcetera etcetera etcetera.........

I am looking forward to seeing both machines on the network, and running widefs for Plan-G etc. The network topics and resolutions discussed at length here have been interesting and informative but sadly, have not resolved historic issues here in front of me. Vista and XP are not good bedfellows, especially when the latter has squinty eyes! (resolved later today)!

I am only frustrated that I am away from Saturday, and have only 4 days at home in the next 3 weeks to play ! I'll also need some time to transfer the 15 years of data currently stored on the 3 Hard Drive within the Dell, maybe it should become a server?

I'll keep you posted

best wishes

Kev