[jhb] Re: FSX and Win 7

  • From: Kev Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:41:26 +0100

I am just having to replace my 14 year old Dell which the family has used for everyday work.

This machine has served me well and only works out at around £200 per annum........ eeks!

I've managed to acquire a sister machine to my FS unit locally, at a quarter of the cost of the original, second-hand from Gumtree.com

The seller is obviously in IT for a financial institution, and it comes with a brand new Win 7ultimate x64 activated.

The machine (after negotiation) was £250 cheaper than I paid a year ago, but includes a Blue Ray player and 2Gb extra RAM (8), also pleasingly has 3 years to run on a Premium warranty. He has a another identical machine, with a slightly faster i7 processor and dual graphics cards, which prompts the sale of this one. I bought 2nd hand as Dell have upgraded this model (Studio XPS 435 MT) and it is no longer available in the original configuration.

My question is: Will I gain much benefit if I install FSX on the incoming machine, Win 7 but with the same graphic card? What pitfalls may there be?

The considerable spec is:
Dell studio XPS 435 MT
Intel Core i7-920 processor  2.66GHz, 8 MB Cache, 4.8 GT/sex
8GB of DD3R SDRAM running at 1067MHz
512MB ATI Radeon 4850 HD video card
2 x 500 GB SATA2 7200RPM hard drive striped as raid 0
19-in-1 media card reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Blu-Ray combo drive Blu-ray playback only / 16X DVD+/-RW
Integrated 7.1 channel audio
Dell Wireless PCIE device
8 USB ports (4 on back, 4 on front)
1 Firewire (IEEE 1394) port
1 Mini (4-pin) Firewire (IEEE 1394) port
1 eSATA port,
360 Watt power supply
standard headphone/microphone jacks
10/100/1000 network port
Wireless Logitech MX revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
Dell multimedia USB keyboard
Windows Vista Ultimate ( 64 bit )
4 Year XPS Premium warranty ( 1 year expired, warranty expires in January 2013).