Re: unnecessary startup programs

  • From: "Bill Powers" <powersradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:03:05 -0700

Jean,

Just a quick note to address the video driver issue that might also help
others experiencing something similar. FS is well aware of the problems of
disappearing text but isolating it is laborious and not always easy to
duplicate on like machines. I tend to think it's more of a monitor issue
because I didn't have this problem until I got an LCD monitor (NEC 1860NX).
I use an ATI 128 Rage Ultra card. The problem is most likely a combination
of using an ATI product and the LCD monitor. LCD monitors are more prone to
video problems because they trace a picture slower than CRTs and also don't
require the same high refresh rates that CRTs do for a good clear picture.
In any case, the issue is under constant investigation and we hope one day
to find the culprit and fix it. In the meantime, it's hit or miss.

Things that can help some are making sure your computer has plenty of
resources, plenty of memory, and not trying to bump up the screen resolution
to the very highest setting. Though I could run mine at a higher resolution,
I stay at 1024 x 768 rather than going to 1268. That image would be way too
small for me and require a lot more magnification.

With that said, if there are further comments we can definitely take this
offline. But I did want to say the above in case it would help someone who's
a partially sighted person having video problems. Hope it sheds some much
needed light on the problem for a future fix.

Bill Powers