Re: MONITORS AND DRIVERS

  • From: "Bill Powers" <powersradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:57:38 -0700

Richard,

There is no driver that's perfect, so updates are issued in an attempt to
address any known bugs reported with a particular driver. Everything in the
cycle of computing plays a constant game of catch-up, and video drivers are
just one part of the equation. As we expect more and more from our computers
and peripherals, drivers are constantly revised to demand more of the
hardware and work the software more to meet those needs. If you are unlucky
enough to have a corrupted driver and you simply replace it with the same
one, you may be missing out on advances and enhancements to the same monitor
you've been using, or the new driver may fix something that was an annoying
bug all along. Most of the time if you're going to replace a driver, get the
latest one to do it in hopes it will be better. While that may not always be
true, it seems to hold true for most situations. Certainly if I had a
monitor sitting around for say 5 years and had an old Win98 driver for it,
and I've moved up to WinXP in the meantime, I'm going to use a driver that
is meant for XP and not try to force that Win98 driver to work. So there is
need to look for updated drivers whenever possible.

Bill Powers