[jaws-uk] Re: Wireless Internet

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 22:33:54 +0100

Hi,

Ok, what you need to do is to plug the router into the Ethernet plug on
your machine, then wait a minute, then at a dos prompt, run ghe
following command:

Ipconfig /all

You should see your IP address listed there and a default gateway.  The
default gateway is the address you need to go to, and you go to it by
using http://router.ip.address.  Usually, this is 192.168.1.1 or
10.1.1.2 (based on experience).  So, you would use http://192.168.1.1 to
get into the router configuration system.

Here is an output from my ipconfig /all command, my setup is a little
different though but here we go:

Windows IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pc01
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : hodgsonfamily.org
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hodgsonfamily.org

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hodgsonfamily.org
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Networking Velocity
Family Giga-bit Ethernet Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-8D-6A-60-48
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 81.2.105.212
        Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 May 2006 11:48:11
        Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 June 2006 11:48:11

So, in my case, the ip address I would use is http://81.2.105.209, which
is my gatewy IP, which in my case happens to be the IP address of the
firewall.

Hope this helps,
Andrew.