[iyonix-support] Re: Should we use Wikipedia before asking questions?

  • From: Barrie McElroy <barrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 11:47:02 +0930

In message <708968fa4e.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> My Googling of the FX5500 card did not show it to be a 5V card. It is
> where the web falls down, there are plenty of Google entries for
> sellers but precious little in the way of facts. NVidia's site was not
> much help either.

My initial problem.

> The information required is to be found at
> http://www.iyonix.com/32bit/PCI_slots.shtml

I wish I had been pointed to this in relation to upgrade. I do not
consider myself a 'developer', but guess one must be to cope with a
platform that seems to becoming increasingly 'hobby'. A search facilty
on the Iyonix site would help.

I seem to have no hope of returning the item as the manufacturer claims
it is PCI 3.0 compliant. I do not fully understand thhis as it has the
key (notch) where I understood John to say is the location for 5v.

Without paying USD3,000 p.a. I cannot get to see the specification at
PCI SIG, but their FAQ and Check list is informative if one knows where
the 3.3V key must be.
http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/

> I do not see much point in upgrading the card. The extra memory would
> have been useful to Geminus but that seems defunct now.

This is news to me up here in Australia. Sad news.

> DVI and double heading would be useful if it happens. WindowsXP has an
> excellent implementation of a two display arrangement.

That was my expectation.

Ah well!

Barrie McElroy             RISC OS, Iyonix & Chuditch country
Racism is not a skin complaint ... It is a heart disease!