[iyonix-support] Re: Should we use Wikipedia before asking questions?

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 07:07:20 +0100

In message <2454280.201135-tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tennant Stuart) wrote:

> On Thu 28 Jun 2007 (15:49:42 +0930), Barrie McElroy wrote:

>>I really should use Wikipedia before asking qus, but without John's and
>>David's guidance would probably not have twigged the voltage thing.

> Ah, but is it really safe to use Wikipedia?

One should be cautious of anything on the web. In this instance I
googled PCI, of the results found Wikipedia had a good succinct
description.

My Googling of the FX5500 card did not show it to be a 5V card. It is
where the web falls down, there are plenty of Google entries for
sellers but precious little in the way of facts. NVidia's site was not
much help either.

The information required is to be found at
http://www.iyonix.com/32bit/PCI_slots.shtml

I do not see much point in upgrading the card. The extra memory would
have been useful to Geminus but that seems defunct now. DVI and double
heading would be useful if it happens. WindowsXP has an excellent
implementation of a two display arrangement.

--
David Pitt.

Computing with RISC OS.