[iyonix-support] Re: Setting 'Next' size

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 11:58:05 +0100

In article <4e2332584dlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   John Williams <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <4e22a82877john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > One thing to watch out for by users of PC cards and PCPro is an
> > oddity of the PCConfig utility, which for some reason reduces
> > the Next slot to 32K.  This causes copying to become very slow
> > and "bitty".  I sometimes still use PCConfig to create
> > DOS-format partition files (they have their uses!) and have to
> > remember to reset the Next size after quitting this utility.

> I'm surprised no-one has pointed out this thread is not Iyonix
> specific and so shouldn't be here.

You're absolutely right.  It is only because I have recently
re-config'ed all my RISC OS-based mailing lists and newsgroups to go
into the same box in Pluto that /I/ didn't spot this.  Hmm...

> However, you can add a line to reset the Next slot to the end of
> the Run file of your PCConfig application, and this will be
> implemented when the app is quit.

Thanks for that tip: I didn't know whether that would work and
hadn't tried it.

Meanwhile, back with the Iyonix, I am going to have to add a third
graphics card and display soon, as all those things that insist on
opening up in the middle of the display are -- thus splitting across
the present two displays -- are starting to get too distracting.

This is probably the only downside of Geminus, but adding a third
display will solve it.  This will probably be useful to others who
edit web pages, for example, as it will be useful to have one
display for the source code, one for the browser showing the result,
and a third for directory folders and other resources.  At present I
have to minimise the Zap or HTMLEdit window (I do this to the
iconbar -- what I term "parking it on the deck") to get at the
directories.

I mention all this just in case anyone else finds it of interest and
perhaps even useful in some way.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!