[iyonix-support] Re: Setting 'Next' size

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 08:22:28 +0100

In article <3207a8224e.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <4e2269128cj.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           John McCartney <j.mccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I seem to remember that's what it was on early PCs, and
> >> it was ridiculously large for economical RISC OS programs
> >> at the time.

All that is true enough; but that was then...

> >> Could it be 360K disks and 1 MB memory? That seems to
> >> work number-wise.
> >
> > If you menu over the floppy disc icon and look at the list
> > of format options, you'll find out why it's 640K. As far as
> > I'm aware, it's nothing at all to do with PCs. It's so that
> > an entire ADFS L format floppy can be copied into memory.

I've set mine to 1600K for the same reason, to allow a complete ADFS
F or F+ floppy to be copied in one read/write cycle.

> Interesting, and as I suspected: this is a legacy of a much
> earlier generation of RO machines. Increasing the size radically
> speeds up directory copying ops by about 50%, I've found (E.g.
> [Before]: 20 secs; [After increase to 10k]: 13 secs).

One thing to watch out for by users of PC cards and PCPro is an
oddity of the PCConfig utility, which for some reason reduces the
Next slot to 32K.  This causes copying to become very slow and
"bitty".  I sometimes still use PCConfig to create DOS-format
partition files (they have their uses!) and have to remember to
reset the Next size after quitting this utility.

As far as the start-up setting is concerned, I have found that
saving a desktop Boot file and editing the "WimpSlot -next" entry
is completely reliable, even if everything else is edited out of
that file (some users don't like these files, as it is easy to end
up with unwanted entries that produce undesired results).

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!