[iyonix-support] Re: Scanners

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:00:44 +0000

Hi

In USB, nothing is 'sent automatically,. anything that comes down the cable is requested and interpreted by the driver software.

Hence unless you write or get written a driver for a particular scanner then you are 'stuck' with what is already available.

most driver development stopped when epson ceased to use a common command set, which led to the need for individual scanner specific drivers where the command interface was not published.

John
John Ballance C.Eng MIET - jwb@xxxxxxxxxx - 07976 295923

John says: Shrink bills up to 30% or more? -> Have you looked here?

Too Much Month at the End of the Money? Look at this!

aw29009@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
In message <gemini.kulo35003vrwz01r4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jeremy Nicoll - freelists iyo only
<jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

aw29009@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

So I would be able to use a scanner with a scan to PDF button? Or
would software still be required?

The scanner I have has such a button.  The way it works is there's a
pointlessly bloated application which runs ALL THE TIME on Windows (if you
install it - I didn't).  Its sole purpose is to look for trigger info being
passed from the scanner.

When someone presses one of the 'intelligent' buttons on the scanner, the
scanner just sends the info that button 2 (or whatever) has been pressed up
to the computer via the USB connection.

The always-wasting resources app says "Aha!" and starts whatever you've
configured - which defaults to an app that can create PDF files (the appeal
of which is mainly that they can hold multiple scans in one document - so
useful for business scans of multipage documents, as much as their
portability).

Likewise the 'copy' button starts an app that integrates scanner image
acquisition with printing to a default printer (it's typical of Windows that
such integration is seen as suffciently abnormal to need a special app!).

The scanner itself knows nothing about PDF.

Even if such a thing could be implemented in RO, what's the point?

What I'm asking is if the PDF is sent automatically along the USB
cable and so a driver would not be required?

>From what others have said, it appears a driver is still required and
I'd have to buy some old scanner rather than the slimline ones I'd
prefer to get.

Andrew

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4684 (20091213) __________

http://www.eset.com