[iyonix-support] Re: Scanners

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists iyo only <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:49:53 +0000

aw29009@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So I would be able to use a scanner with a scan to PDF button? Or
> would software still be required?

The scanner I have has such a button.  The way it works is there's a
pointlessly bloated application which runs ALL THE TIME on Windows (if you
install it - I didn't).  Its sole purpose is to look for trigger info being
passed from the scanner.

When someone presses one of the 'intelligent' buttons on the scanner, the
scanner just sends the info that button 2 (or whatever) has been pressed up
to the computer via the USB connection.

The always-wasting resources app says "Aha!" and starts whatever you've
configured - which defaults to an app that can create PDF files (the appeal
of which is mainly that they can hold multiple scans in one document - so
useful for business scans of multipage documents, as much as their
portability).

Likewise the 'copy' button starts an app that integrates scanner image
acquisition with printing to a default printer (it's typical of Windows that
such integration is seen as suffciently abnormal to need a special app!).

The scanner itself knows nothing about PDF.

Even if such a thing could be implemented in RO, what's the point?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own