[iyonix-support] Re: Scanners

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:57:15 GMT

In message <b72512c950.Andrew@xxxxxxxx>
          aw29009@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In message <f081adc850.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <98f1b8c750.Andrew@xxxxxxxx>
>>           aw29009@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> If I buy a scanner which scans directly to PDF, do the USB 2.0
>>> connections generally allow transmission of the file? For example,
>>> would I be likely to get the "bad block size" error that is reported
>>> with many MP3 players?

>> The "bad block size" error is only applicable to mass storage devices.

> So I would be able to use a scanner with a scan to PDF button? Or
> would software still be required?

> Andrew

You need a scanner that is twain compliant and that a driver exists
for RISC OS to enable the two to talk to RISC OS but there are not
many of these now available and you can discuss this with a RISC OS
dealer.

Then you need some software to scan it in to like !DPlngScan.

Then you can print this out via DPlngScan and either use the built in
Postscript or Postscript3 drivers to print it out and then finally you
can then use Ghostscript/PrintPDF or PDFMakerPro to convert it. There
are other free or paid for offerings to do all this.

You could look for a scanner that has a card slot in and then use a
Iyonix or Unipod enabled RISC OS machine to read the PDF file from the
scanner.

I know you said you don't need a printer but Ian Hamilton's !MFPxEpson
works very well using the Iyonix/RISC OS 5 USB stack on the scanner
element.

Also RISC OS dealer will sell you a scanner that that works at a price
of course as we are a niche market.

Failing this and if you have a Windows PC then Uniscan/UniPrint from
RComp is your friend

--
Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.14, the thinking person's alternative
operating system to Microsoft Windows.