[iyonix-support] Re: New 5.14 ROM on Iyonix

  • From: John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 10:50:53 +0100

Chris Evans wrote:
On Mon 04 May, Steve (ROOL) wrote:

On 04 May, cj <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <505649817cmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   John <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sounds a good plan, but where did you manage to find a spare copy of
UtilityModule 5.14 ? I have 5.13 and haven't managed to find it to
download.

It's in the 5.14 ROM image!

More precisely, UtilityModule is the module name that the RISC OS kernel
calls itself - so that module's version _is_ the version of RISC OS that you
are running.

I thought the part of the OS that is run before the modules were initiated
was the kernal.

It (what I think is the kernal) seems to occupy in 5.11:

FC000000 to
FC01E0D0

With the UtilityModule starting at FC01E0D4

or am I missunderstanding things.

Also if I understand correctly what JB has posted and told me in the past,
there is a BIOS that is run before the RISC OS kernel.

Chris Evans

Hi Chris

The HAL starts the machine, copies rom to ram (for speed), initialises some hardware, and then launches the Kernel. The 'Utility module' is essentially the 'module like' part of the Kernel. As Steve says, the Kernel of the OS reflects as the Utility Module when looking at version strings.. Hope this helps

John
John Ballance C.Eng MIET - jwb@xxxxxxxxxx - 07976 295923

John says: Free Utilities and Global calls? -> Have you looked here?

Too Much Month at the End of the Money? Look at this!