[iyonix-support] Re: New 5.14 ROM on Iyonix

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:03:37 +0100

On 29 Apr 2009  Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4335c25350.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <5053bbf633chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           cj <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> go514 is an obey file *inside* the soft-iyo.5.14.zip file. You need
>>> to download the zip file first.

>> I guess you have to do this every time you switch on?

>> Alan

> If you want to run 5.14 every time, but softload it each time, you
> could run the following Basic program.

> I have set it in !Boot, Run. The softload files are in a folder on the
> hard drive called RiscOS-open. You'll need to change that path to your
> own location. (The program could be improved, so that it uses its own
> location as the location to look for the go514 file.)

[snip program]

A dirty way (remember I'm /not/ a programmer) of making it pick up the
location is to have, in the relevant directory, an Obey file, called
Run, containing the lines:

Set SoftLoad$Dir <obey$Dir>
Run <SoftLoad$Dir>.Softloader

and then the BASIC program in the same place, called Softloader,
modified as follows:

REM Run RISC OS 5.14 softloader
REM Put in the same directory as the softload stuff

OSCLI("HELP UTILITYMODULE { > UTILITYVERSION/TXT }")
X=OPENIN"UTILITYVERSION/TXT"
IF X=0 THEN ERROR 1,"CANNOT OPEN INPUT"
REPEAT
  A$=GET$#X
UNTIL (INSTR(A$,"MOS Utilities")>0) OR EOF#X
CLOSE#X:X=0
OSCLI("DELETE UTILITYVERSION/TXT")
IF INSTR(A$,"MOS Utilities")<1 THEN PRINT"Not found":END
A$=MID$(A$,INSTR(A$,"MOS Utilities")+13,999)
I%=0
WHILE(MID$(A$,I%,1))=" "
  I%+=1
ENDWHILE
A$=MID$(A$,I%,99)
I=VAL(A$)*100
I%=INT(I+0.001)
IF I%>513 THEN END
OSCLI "<SoftLoad$Dir>.go514"
OSCLI"Unset SoftLoad$Dir")
END

This works for me. It would be better if I could put the bit naming
SoftLoad$Dir into the BASIC file, but it wouldn't play for me if I did
that.

No snide comments from the experts, please :-)

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Tm       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.