[iyonix-support] Re: 5.14 and ImageMaster/DPlngScan and a 5M JPEG

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:01:35 +0100

In message <9ef82a5450.roger@Iyonix>
          Roger Foden <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <d9c7155450.dougjwebb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>> 5.14 flashed in to my Iyonix and I have successfully rotated a 2M jpeg
>> image in DPlngScan in a fast time.

>> I tried the same with a £M one that came out at 67MB for the sprite
>> and it positively crawled.

>> I then went to Geminus and turned off DMA acceleration and it rotated
>> the ^&MB sprite a lot faster.

>> Perhaps there is an issue with Geminus 1.33 and RISC OS 5.14?

>> Doug

> It doesn't seem to be just an issue with Geminus; I have soft-loaded
> 5.14 and on trying to rotate a 1,4MB jpeg (from an 8Mpixel camera) in
> DPingScan I gave up after a minute (at 14%). DPingScan isn't very fast
> anyway, but OS 5.14 seems to have upset it somewhat. There was also a
> good deal of disc-thrashing, which I don't remember with OS 5.13.

> I assume the soft-load will not be different from the flashed ROM in
> any respects?

> Regards
> Roger
 Well it is strange as I have now up'd the memory requirements in
DPlngscan to around 100M and the same file, 3M Jpeg and when expanded
in DPlngscan,  rotates Ok within 20s with DMA scrolls enabled in
Geminus.

I set it back to 20M it was before and has always been with 5.13 and
it now crawls. So perhaps it is a memory thing or disc access issue
when rotating a image that doesn't fit in the memory allowed?

--
Using an IYONIX pc and RISC OS 5.14, the thinking person's alternative
operating system to Microsoft Windows.