[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix hanging (was Re: EtherK not starting up reliably)

  • From: Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:31:57 +0100

In message <44EDF4BF.60209@xxxxxxxxxx>
          John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> lots of detail, and thanks for this.

Well, my Iyo has been running happily all day without a hiccup, on its
inexpensive 'white box' PSU from Maplin.

More interesting, possibly, info about my units failure.  Apart from the
EtherK going AWOL sporadically over the last two or three weeks, the
machine began hanging regularly yesterday, typically with the IDE
activity light on solid - even through a reset.  Obviously, the PSU was
becoming weak in some manner, but it was still reading a steady 5.07 to
5.08 volts over the entire period.  It may, of course, be the regular
power cycling which finally killed the PSU, but it definitely went
completely dead, no fan, no nothing, at around eleven last night.

At that stage, I tried fitting a PSU which had failed about two months
ago in my old PC.  I knew that, whilst that PSU wouldn't run the PC, it
was capable of powering my Omega.  I installed it in the Iyo and with
the full complement of connections, it would power the unit up, but hang
at the stage of the first two lines appearing on the boot up screen -
the RISC OS announcement, and whatever follows that.  At power up, the
IDE activity light would come on, as usual, but not go off again.

However, if I disconnected the Samsung SV8004H disc drive (either power
or interface) the machine would complete its power-up sequence.  These
led me to fear for the health of the drive, especially when I found that
the machine would power up, without hanging, with a gash Maxtor 80GB
drive fitted.  I even ran the formatter from CD to prove that the Maxtor
drive was visible and functioning.

The conclusions I draw, rightly or wrongly, are that the two PSUs have
suffered a similar failure mode and that firstly, the EtherK, and then
the Samsung drive are intolerant of this failure.  The Maxtor drive is,
obviously, more tolerant!

Is there anything to be learned from this - probably not - but I might
be inclined to swap out the Samsung for the Maxtor!

--
Peter Bell - peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx