[iyonix-support] Iyonix hanging (was Re: EtherK not starting up reliably)

  • From: Frank Watkinson <frank@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 18:13:29 +0100

Pardon me for re-opening this thread, but after a couple of hours
searching it is the only source of occurrences similar to the one
currently plaguing me (and my Panther).

If I leave the machine running and turn my back for a time (variable:
one half hour to several hours) it hangs, showing the hard drive
access light continuosly on and with no response from the mouse
(pointer or buttons) or keyboard. That is, a total inability to
terminate any application or shutdown by any means other than the
power rocker switch at the back of the machine, on the power source.
When doing that, I noticed that a minimum interval of about 30 seconds
in the "Off" condition was necessary to avoid the machine starting up
the Boot sequence immediately on moving the rocker switch to "On" !

Reading the previous contributions to this thread did not make it
clear whether the experience of others included the occurrence of
hanging during an extended period of rest.

Rest is a relative thing. I suppose you might say that the screensaver
settings might be a factor. If so, they are: "Type" - DPMS; "Blank
delay" - 5 min.; "DPMS state ... " - Monitor on stand-by (DPMS level
1); "Unblank on screen writes" - NOT ticked.

If all the above fits with previous experiences, is it really the case
that it is due to deterioration in the power supply output values?

If so, is it really critical to seek to stay below the top of the
range quoted by JWB in this thread and elsewhere (Message-ID:
<c3cd1a4f4e.jbwork@xxxxxxxxxx> )  ?

OK, now for the confessions. Still on 5.10, USB 2. What else do you
want to know?   The OS version does not seem relevant to this problem.
It has only arisen in the last 2 weeks during which time no new
software has been introduced.

If you want to know the voltage, please specify clearly: the running
conditions and the recommended contact points.

Regards.

Frank.

--
Frank Watkinson.     email:  <frank@xxxxxxxx>