[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix hanging (was Re: EtherK not starting up reliably)

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:59:29 +0100

On 24 Aug, Peter Bell wrote in message
  <f213655b4e.peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> A panic buy at Maplin produced a 250W ATX unit at =A318.98 (WF87U) -
> 'white-box', and not even described as low-noise, but it does have a
> variable speed fan, and seems quiet enough.  The Iyo has been running
> for two hours without any obvious problems.  However, the 5V rail is
> measuring 5.15V!

Even allowing for the calibration (or otherwise) of people's DVMs, the
kind of voltage tolerances being thrown about on this list are utterly
meaningless in the context of ATX power supplies.

Unless the standard spec has changed significantly since I stopped
designing the things three years ago, the 5V rail is usually given as
4.75V to 5.25V.  The nominal often sits a little high of centre (say about
5.1V), due to the realities of transformer design, but even this isn't
guaranteed.

Exactly where any given PSU will operate under the 'standard' Iyonix load
is impossible to say, but it could fall anywhere within 0.25V either way
of 5V and still be within spec.  The exact voltage at any time will depend
on the loadings of most of the PSUs other outputs when the measurement is
taken (and hence on hard disc activity, whether the CD is in use for
reading or burning, etc), not to mention component tolerances in the PSU.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/