[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix hanging (was Re: EtherK not starting up reliably)

  • From: Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:33:19 +0100

In message <8e64fe5a4e.peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Peter Bell <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0608231815350.13095@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Peter Bell wrote:
> >=20
> > [...]
> > > Today my Iyonix has hung solid four times so far.  No response to
> > > keyboard or mouse, usually with the disk activity light on permanen=
tly.
> > > The front panel reset switch has no effect - I have to power down w=
ith
> > > the psu switch and restart from there.  I wonder whether there's a
> > > connection with my earlier etherk problems.
> >=20
> > Peter,
> > I have had the same issue some weeks ago, when we had a hot weather
> > period over here. In my case the reason was a faulty PSU.
> >=20
> > I had to buy a new PSU for my Iyonix (Panther) and all has been well
> > ever since. It's a 300watts one of the same brand and fits nicely
> > into the Panther.
>=20
> Thanks for that advice, Rainer.
>=20
> I began by suspecting that my initial etherk problems were being caused=

> by the PSU, but JB was advising that, based on the 5V rail voltage, the=

> PSU was good, and someone else suggested that the EtherK failure mode
> was not that normally seen with a faulty supply.
>=20
> However, I do think that my first step has to be to find a suitable
> replacement PSU, but I am concerned with JB's insistance that the 5V
> rail should be between 5.04 and 5.07V.  I guess that I just have to
> select one which looks reasonable and hope that it works.
>=20
> My Iyonix is the very first one sold to the general public - I guess it=

> has lasted better than many others!
>=20
> Oh, and it has hung at least twice more since I last posted.

... and after the third power cycle in half an hour last night, the psu
failed to restart.  A panic buy at Maplin produced a 250W ATX unit at
=A318.98 (WF87U) - 'white-box', and not even described as low-noise, but
it does have a variable speed fan, and seems quiet enough.  The Iyo has
been running for two hours without any obvious problems.  However, the
5V rail is measuring 5.15V!  One benefit of the unit - it does have a
power outlet for ancillaries, but it doesn't have a switch.  I may stick
with this, or I might try for a more 'upmarket' device.

--=20
Peter Bell - peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx