[iyonix-support] Re: Iyonix hanging (was Re: EtherK not starting up reliably)

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 22:29:40 +0100

In message <4ec93546a3frank@xxxxxxxx>
 on 25 Mar 2007 Frank Watkinson <frank@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pardon me for re-opening this thread, but after a couple of hours
> searching it is the only source of occurrences similar to the one
> currently plaguing me (and my Panther).
>
> If I leave the machine running and turn my back for a time (variable:
> one half hour to several hours) it hangs, showing the hard drive
> access light continuosly on and with no response from the mouse
> (pointer or buttons) or keyboard. That is, a total inability to
> terminate any application or shutdown by any means other than the
> power rocker switch at the back of the machine, on the power source.
> When doing that, I noticed that a minimum interval of about 30 seconds
> in the "Off" condition was necessary to avoid the machine starting up
> the Boot sequence immediately on moving the rocker switch to "On" !
>
> Reading the previous contributions to this thread did not make it
> clear whether the experience of others included the occurrence of
> hanging during an extended period of rest.

That certainly was the problem I was having, though sometimes it
happened quite quickly.

[snip]

> It has only arisen in the last 2 weeks during which time no new
> software has been introduced.

[snip]

I had previously come to the conclusion that the problems I was
experiencing were temperature related.  I've now had carpets fitted
and the Iyonix (standard case) is now sitting on carpet rather than on
bare floorboards.  The hangs have not occurred since.  This leads me
to suspect that there is less airflow through the case and less
internal cooling.  Have you relocated your machine in the last two
weeks?  If so, moving it back again might be worth trying.

Regards

--
Andrew Pinder