[iyonix-support] Re: Belkin KVM

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:08:53 +0100

In message <Marcel-1.53-0409100802-0b0pErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 9 Apr 2009 Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu 09 Apr, David J. Ruck wrote:
>>
>> Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> !USBInfo reveals that it is a USB 1.10 device working at Low speed.  I
>>> suspect that internally it is quite complex.
>>
>> Internally its acting as a keyboard and mouse, so it can pass on real
>> keyboard and mouse input while trapping key presses to perform switching.
>> USB low speed is the standard way of commicating with devices of this
>> class.

That clarifies things but I'm not clear as how the video switching is
controlled.

>> The problem could be due to the way RISC OS 5 initialises USB keyboard
>> devices which confuses the KVM. It might be easier to swap if for a type
>> whch is known to work with the Iyonix.

It does now seem to be working fine.  On starting up the Iyonix this
afternoon I found the KVM remained switched to the PC, which was the
last one shut down earlier.  I had assumed that when both computers
were off it would automatically switch to whichever was booted first,
but pressing the Remote switched things fine.

> If you can't return the KVM, does the unit also have PS/2 outputs (Some of
> the OmniViews do IIRC) If yes, then use a USB to 2xPS/2 adaptor and the
> problem is likely to go away!

USB only

I suspect the key thing is to download and install the software via a
supported OS, (Windows, Mac, Linux).  I won't be surprised if this
updates software/firmware inside the switch.  Once I had done this the
problems cleared.

Regards

Andrew

--