[iyonix-support] Re: Belkin KVM

  • From: Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 23:26:13 +0100

In message <fa6c6d4850.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 on 7 Apr 2009 Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <394c694850.Andrew-Pin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Andrew Pinder <Andrew.Pinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <6ed2454850.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  on 7 Apr 2009 Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> In message <30956482.1239106341572.JavaMail.root@ps27>

>>> When you connect both systems, does the mouse and keyboard switch
>>> between them when you press the button? You'll only know because they
>>> will stop working on the machine you are not viewing - as you are not
>>> viewing, this is tricky. However if you open an edit window, type a
>>> few characters, switch away, type some more, then switch back you'll
>>> see whether anything was inserted.

>> No response from either the (unlit) LED on the Remote or the PC.
>> Everything typed on the keyboard appeared in the Edit window on the
>> Iyonix.

> That suggests it isn't in fact switching the connection. If that is
> the case, it's more likely to be a faulty USB cable, as without a
> signal on USB most KVMs don't think there's anything connected.

> It would be interesting to see what the switching software does,
> though as it can only cause the unit to switch away from the machine
> on which it was activated, you need to have it running on both. Tricky
> when one's an Iyonix...

Well, things have got "interesting".  I tried the KVM by itself with a
Windows laptop.  Fine with the yellow lead - I could leave the lid
down and it would start up on the monitor.  Nothing on the green lead
when I tried that.  So as I had already found.  When I started the
laptop with the lid open and then plugged the KVM in it detected the
keyboard and mouse, with either cable connected.  So that meant
something was working OK. With the yellow cable I could switch display
as normal between the laptop and the external monitor.  With the Green
cable this still wouldn't work.

I then connected the Yellow cable to the still running Windows PC and
downloaded and installed the switching software. I left the Green
cable connected to the laptop.  Activating the switching software
brought up the laptop display on the external monitor!!!  The LED on
the Remote wasn't lit but I found that pulling the Remote cable out
from the switch activated it and switched the display.  I then swapped
the Green cable to the Iyonix and again managed to switch the display.

So it looks like you may be right about it being a USB issue but I
wonder if its software not hardware related.

The next test will be what happens when I shut everything down and
reboot.

Regards

Andrew

--