[iyonix-support] Re: 5.18 Upgrade problems

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:26:32 +0000 (GMT)

In article <mpro.m0pzli09y7vjk01c7.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11 Mar, John M Ward wrote in message
>     <526ec3e93ejohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > In article <4F5479D3.3070507@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >    David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > No, unplugging is not necessary, as later softloaded modules will
> > > take over from the ROM module, leaving it dormant.
> >
> > > Unplugging should only be used for a module which causes some
> > > sort of problem if left active.
> >
> > personally I agree and understand; but as we have had, for years,
> > such files as UnplugTBox in !BootUtils and seen all those commands
> > listed during boot-up, I was aware that modules can end up being
> > unplugged even on modern systems if such files are still being run
> > at Boot time.

> UnplugTBox does not unplug anything, however.  It simply RMKills the
> modules each time the machine starts up.

Yes, I have spotted that in practice, but it still shows those commands
during the pre-desktop Boot sequence, so alerted me to possibilities
rather than dismissing them out of hand (which was tempting, but I have
learned caution over the years).

Whatever, in that specific case, the whole business of unplugging
modules and their sequencing is an issue that has been well worth
raising, so I (and no doubt a number of others here) am grateful for the
informed input that helps explain what really is or is not happening.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 3 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!