[iyonix-support] Re: 5.18 Upgrade problems

  • From: "Steve (ROOL)" <srevill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:51:01 +0000 (GMT)

On 02 Mar, cj <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <b89e376a52.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > A good time for an n+=1 interjection. No problems here with OS5.18
> > on the Iyonix. ROOL, and others, have done an excellent job for
> > both the Iyonix and ARMini.
>
> Seconded.

It seems most likely to me that any problems will be coming from
interactions between third party software in the boot sequence - or maybe
missing some of the newer disc image bits - and something that's changed in
RO 5.18, rather than being 5.18 bugs per se.

I'd be amazed if this is real bugs that the same people didn't get when they
were using 5.19 as a softload. But I suspect the people seeing problems
aren't the same group of people who've been keeping up with development
versions - that's two different types of user - so it's more likely these
are problems that are being seen on systems which have never run a newer
version of RISC OS than 5.16 (at the latest).

All of which helps to explain why we have a sudden rush of reports of
problems even though we have a fairly large body of users who've been
running 5.17 and 5.19 every day for months without these issues.

Ta,

Steve

--
Stephen Revill, Director                                  www.riscosopen.org