[PCB_FORUM] Re: DxDesigner to Allegro...

  • From: "richard moffat" <richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:02:29 +1300

Austin,

You're complaining to the wrong people.  People on this forum generally try to
help.  I suggest you start a blog.

Regards,
Richard

>>> austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx 27/10/2005 10:44 a.m. >>>

Hi Ron,

I believe I started this...  I have no doubt it "works" to some level, but the
thing I'm trying to ferret out is what that level is.  I know it can give me
the netlist, but what beyond the netlist...as I have a simple netlist
translator already that does that without paying $2500 for it.  Mentor has no
datasheets for it, and basically won't tell me anything about it unless I ask
specific questions.  I'm amazed anyone would buy this "product" without
understanding what it is they are getting for their money.  But, perhaps,
that's because the money for these things comes directly out of my pocket...not
some corporations, so I care.

The Mentor interface does not support crossprobing or decal preview.  It does
do back-annotation, something I would not be able to do easily (I don't think)
with my simple translation program...but in reality, I don't use
back-annotation anyway.  Something my program doesn't do now is support
attribute passing, but that is probably quite easy to add support for and is
something I'd prefer to add to my program than pay Mentor $2500 just to get.  I
must admit, I'm not impressed at what you get (or don't get for that matter)
for $2500 from this Mentor product.

Regards,

Austin