[PCB_FORUM] Re: DxDesigner to Allegro...

  • From: Michael.Catrambone@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:34:58 -0500

Austin,

Cross Probing - I was told that crossprobing worked a long time ago
but sometime during the new Allegro GUI 13.X introduction it broke for
good.

Decal Preview - I have never tried to get this to work but in theory with
some setup you should be able to have it call the Allegro Free Viewer
to preview the symbol.

DxDesigner Attributes Manager - Sure, adding information in the
DxDesigner attribute editor will pass to the Allegro netlist as
properties as long as you specify the attribute as being passed to
Allegro via the Allegro Configuration file (Allegro.cfg)  Allegro.cfg is
located in "standard" sub-directory inside the Viewdraw installation.
Most of the Allegro properties are already in the Allegro.cfg but you
may need to  add a couple more or update some of the names to
match SPB 15.x. I hope I am not making this sound easy, because its not!!!

      Here is some major things to be aware of when using this interface:

      - Deleting properties will need to be done manually on the
      Allegro side as well  as      the Viewdraw side.

      - Once XNET are created in Allegro net level properties
      will propagate thru the XNET during 3rd Party netlist import
      which can be difficult to manage on the Allegro side.

      - XNET or ECSET support is pretty much no existent so they
      much be managed via Constraints Manager in Allegro.

      - Pin to Pin Properties may not import into Allegro unless
      its via an incremental netlist. (Supersede all logic unchecked)

      - Pin to Pin Properties will need to be manually updated on the
      Viewdraw side when reference designators are renamed on
      the Allegro side.

If you are doing basic rules on your designs then adding attributes in
Viewdraw that pass over to Allegro as properties works rather well but
once you move into a higher complexity then it can be easily accomplished
and managed via Constraints Manager inside Allegro instead of via net
level properties in Viewdraw.

Hope this helps,
Michael Catrambone
UTStarcom, Inc.

"Austin Franklin" <austin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@freelists.org on 10/24/2005
03:13:52 PM

Please respond to icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    icu-pcb-forum-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc:
Subject:    [PCB_FORUM] DxDesigner to Allegro...

Hi,

Does anyone here use the DxDesigner (ViewDraw) to Allegro interface from
Mentor?  If so, I'd like to know:

1) Does it support crossprobing
2) Does it support decal preview
3) Can you use the DxDesigner Attributes Manager for entering/modifying
constraints
4) What attributes does it pass to Allegro

I'll also ask Mentor, but for some reason, they aren't very good at
answering these types of questions.

Regards,

Austin