[hipl-dev] Re: binary packaging

  • From: Miika Komu <mkomu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hipl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:01:32 +0200

Hi,

On 11/05/2010 03:36 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 05:11:31PM +0300, Miika Komu wrote:

(sorry for late reply due to the Nordsec 2010 conference which I was
attending)

np

On 10/27/2010 01:51 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
What's with the top-posting all of a sudden?

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 10:30:23PM +0300, Miika Komu wrote:

On 26/10/10 20:57, Diego Biurrun wrote:
This thing is supposed to be infrastructure software that touches every
single packet passing through a machine.  For that it needs to become
ultrafast and very reliable.  At the moment it is neither.

Not really all packets, just the HIP-related ones. Ultrafast and
reliable calls for testing and performance optimization, not just
polishing the code base.

Precisely my point, HIPL still has a long way to go there.  Let's not
forget that it dabbles in cryptography, a field where it is frightfully
easy to make important mistakes.

please elaborate? What is wrong with the crypto in HIPL?

I suggest we rethink if and how we split the HIPL binary packages.
Is one monolithic package enough?  Are hipd and hipfw independent
enough to be separated?

I think we should keep the current split with the packages because this
is the way it works in most other standard packages and I assume we want
HIPL to go into a mainstream linux distribution at some point.

The thought of HIPL in widespread use scares me ;)

Trolling aside, split packages make sense for large software packages
or for minimal systems.  Standard RPM/DEB packages of HIPL fall in
neither category IMO.

HIPL is not large, but we have needed just partial functionality of HIPL
earlier. Splitting the packages was the most sensible way to me to avoid
activating some parts of the software. The idea behind the minimal
package is to provide minimal HIP functionality for the following cases:

1. Servers that don't need DNS proxy and hipfw
2. P2P-SIP over HIP prototype has it's own way of resolving HIs, no need
for DNS proxy or the LSI support provided by hipfw

OK

Also, P2P-SIP over HIP prototype used just a minimal installation of
HIPL (libs + hipd), so there has been a prior need to select only
certain parts of the software.

But the "minimal" package is nonsense.  It just depends on hipd and the
tools, but the tools are hardly necessary for any installation, much
less a minimal one.

"hipconf" is the one really needed from tools. Virtual packages are
quite common.

So would it make sense to keep hipconf in the hipd package?

Works for me.

I think there's not much benefit of merging the packages. For example, I
see more benefit in migrating from the brittle debbuild script to a
better way of handling the packaging (perhaps on a new branch). After
all, it does not even work on Debian at moment...

We should get rid of debbuild, yes.  We already have Debian packaging in
place, it just needs to be extended.  But since we're overhauling the
binary packaging infrastructure anyway, it makes sense to rethink now
which parts of it are good and which need to be changed.

Once we have the RPM infrastructure properly cleaned up, I will tackle
the Debian packaging issue.  Right now real Debian packaging stuff
exists in the debian/ subdirectory, but it builds a single monolithic
package.

Go ahead with the monolithic package if you really believe it's the best
way to go. However, you should then make sure to modify packaging
correctly so that there is "Replaces: hipl-all, hipl-daemon, .."
dependency included in the rpm and deb packaging. This way, we can
ensure a flawless upgrade path from current split packages to the
monolithic version. If there's naming changes in packaging, please
remind me to update the installation instructions at hipl.hiit.fi.

Good point, a smooth upgrade path is always nice.  Please remind me of
this should my scatterbrained self forget it.

Will do :)