[openbeos] Re: unix software without tears

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 00:52:16 +0200 CEST

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Speaking of which, has a decision been done about where to store
> > user
> > application data files, e.g. Quake maps? They're not binary add-
> > ons,
> > so
> > they don't go to the USER_ADDONS_DIRECTORY, nor are they settings.
> > And
> > if you drop them in %A/data, they disappear when you upgrade the
>
> Since when would they disappear when updating the application? Only
> when you copy the directory via Tracker, but that "feature" is
> hopefully gone when R1 hits the streets.
> I would prefer to keep those files with the application as much as
> possible...

No, you've misunderstood what I meant:

1. Install Quake3 in /boot/apps/Quake3
2. Find a nifty map for Quake, put it in /boot/apps/Quake3/maps
3. Find there's a new version of Quake3 out there, but there are many
changes to the runtime files in the application folder, so you need to
delete it before installing it again.

Ka-blam.  And, even if not, I'm not comfortable "upgrading" by just
unzipping to the same folder again, leaving behind old (possibly un-
needed) junk. That's why I opt for having a data directory for these
things, separated from the application.

> > application. Clearly, something like a B_USER_DATA_DIRECTORY is
> > needed.
>
> ... but for cases where this isn't an option (and I wouldn't really
> count Quake into that), B_USER_DATA_DIRECTORY as well as
> B_USER_CACHE_DIRECTORY will definitely make it into Haiku if I have
> say anything about it.

Yup! Great.

> In case of Quake, it would be nice if it would search in that
> directory
> *and* in %A/data, too, so that ultimately the user has the choice,
> just
> like with add-ons (and I definitely don't like ~/.xxx for *anything*
> installed on BeOS).

2 x *nod*

I (or someone) should probably file a ticket against Quake3 that it
uses ~/.q3a for settings, it's horrible.

-- Mikael
Larry Wall never understood Lisp
Guido Van Rostum once read a book on Lisp
Yukihiro Matsumoto once read a book on Lisp and understood some of it