[openbeos] Re: unix software without tears

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 9:20:33 +0000

I've never heard of pkgsrc, but a brief reading suggests that it would be
useful for developers. I'm not sure I'd be keen on having it in the base Haiku
installation targetting end users.

In the TeX example, pkgsrc might be useful to build a working TeX for Haiku,
but then I think someone should go through BeOS-ifying things like installation
paths, and host the resulting binary using whatever Haiku standard distribution
format we settle on (a zip of a directory for example).

Is Haiku's lack of 100% POSIX compatibility going to mean it would fail with
some packages? If that is a possiblity it really shouldn't be provided to
users. Even with a few years of programming experience, I hate having to build
from source as it never seems to go smoothly.

So while I agree it would be good to support pkgsrc, I don't think it should be
part of core Haiku - it should be available to those who have heard of it, and
to aid people wanting to make proper BeOSified ports of unix apps. There seems
no reason why a 3rd party developer couldn't work on this, but also no real
reason to include it in the Haiku tree. Shipping too much unixy stuff will
really affect the perception of Haiku as being something a bit different.

Simon

> From: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2006/04/03 Mon AM 12:45:17 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [openbeos] Re: unix software without tears
>
> On 4/2/06, Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Because Haiku-only equivalents are not always available. There is an
> > enormous array of amazingly useful UNIX software out there, and the
> > ability to use these has made OS X amazingly attractive to the
> > scientific community. I don't envision a lot of use of GUI apps, because
> > we won't have X, but for command-line utilities, this would be an
> > amazing thing to have.
> > -Nathan
>
> Nate, you, above all people, should know that X is not a requirement,
> we have it already (albeit unmantained), and I absolutely CAN live
> with rootless X. Massaging Xbeosnative into a full-fledged rootless X
> can't be that hard. Either that or, seeing how excellent XMing is,
> re-porting the x.org release (which I tried doing a 3-4 years ago, but
> it was a shot in the dark as I completely lacked the skills and the
> "development machine" was a Pentium 133 and it was *really tiring* to
> build for 4+ hours just to see it fail at some point).
>
> If no-one beats me to it, I'll definitely try again by December (when
> I graduate) or early 2007. And I'll probably beat Vista's release date
> ;D

Email sent from www.ntlworld.com
Virus-checked using McAfee(R) Software