[openbeos] Re: unix software without tears

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:28:27 +0200 CEST

Ville Koskinen <vrkosk@xxxxxx>:

> On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 01:25:45 +0200
> "Mikael Jansson (mailing lists)" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Binary packages would be installed to /packages,
> > > creating a single folder, with unix-ish subfolders:
> > >
> > > /packages/perl/bin/perl
> > > /packages/perl/bin/blaa
> > > /packages/perl/lib/blaaalib
> > > /packages/perl/lib/bloolib
> > > /packages/perl/etc/greatstuff
> > >
> > > These files would then be symlinked into a set of aggregation
> > > folders,
> > > IIRC, and any clashes be dealt with by the package utility.
> > >
> > Sounds like the QNX package-fs which overlayed each package with
> > the
> > current filesystem. Interesting idea, but was abandoned for
> > performance reasons, IIRC.
>
> It also sounds like what the developers of Gobolinux are doing:
>
> http://www.gobolinux.org/?page=faq
> http://gobo.kundor.org/kb/index.php/The%20GoboLinux%20filesystem%20hierarchy
> >
> Basically, they put every program in /Programs/<program name>/<
> program
> version>/ and then symlink the binaries, libraries, documentation,
> headers, and so on to the "correct" places. I remember seeing an
> article about the possible and real difficulties imposed by the
> filesystem hierarchy, but couldn't find it (again). So, before
> starting
> to develop something like this in Haiku, it might be useful to see
> how
> they've done it.

You could attach attributes to files which could be examined to know
where they want to live.  Also, attach an attribute for the program
name and version they belong to. Instant uninstall!  (neglecting shared
files)

-- Mikael
"Yeah, and if you get kicked out of that one you’re going straight in
 the army where you’ll be sent straight to America’s latest military
 quagmire. Where will it be? North Korea? Iran? Anything's possible
 with Commander Cuckoo-Bananas in charge."           -- Homer Simpson