[openbeos] Re: unix software without tears

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 01:25:45 +0200 CEST

> Binary packages would be installed to /packages,
> creating a single folder, with unix-ish subfolders:
>
> /packages/perl/bin/perl
> /packages/perl/bin/blaa
> /packages/perl/lib/blaaalib
> /packages/perl/lib/bloolib
> /packages/perl/etc/greatstuff
>
> These files would then be symlinked into a set of aggregation
> folders,
> IIRC, and any clashes be dealt with by the package utility.
>
> It might be worth taking a look at. I don't know if it's great,
> but it appeared to work.

Sounds like the QNX package-fs which overlayed each package with the
current filesystem. Interesting idea, but was abandoned for performance
reasons, IIRC.

Something similar to that might be a good idea, though.  Perhaps we
could do some magic with attributes and tag files belonging to a
particular package? There's nothing stopping us from intercepting the
means by which "make install" puts the files into their correct
locations.

Sure, might have to patch the resulting Makefile, but it's certainly
doable. The limit is  our imagination!

-- Mikael
"Yeah, and if you get kicked out of that one you’re going straight in
 the army where you’ll be sent straight to America’s latest military
 quagmire. Where will it be? North Korea? Iran? Anything's possible
 with Commander Cuckoo-Bananas in charge."           -- Homer Simpson