[openbeos] Re: unix software without tears

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 20:45:45 +0200 CEST

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think we could benefit from using NetBSD's 'pkgsrc'
> for unix software management. (and unix software only)
> It's unix-centric, of course, but it's far from NetBSD-only.

I wouldn't consider it, if it's thought for unix software only; I would
always only want one single update mechanism in the system.

And what good would it bring?

- we have all the tools that should be in the distribution in our
source repository.
- it's arguably a good thing to keep those up to date.
- users should only care about updating those tools when there is a
potentially
  security hole - all other updates should be managed by updating
Haiku.
- at least I don't see the need to have many other unix tools on Haiku,
than
  those that are already part of Haiku.

Bye,
   Axel.