[openbeos] Re: unix software without tears

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:49:06 +0200 CEST

Mathew Schofield wrote:
> Does pkgsrc use Makefiles like FreeBSD's Ports?
> If it does, wouldn't it be easier to rewrite something **alot**
> smaller using Jamfiles? Because you wouldn't need support for all the
> other platforms and their versions, just Haiku... Unless you want to
> use everything in pkgsrc?

Using pkgsrc we take advantage of their software catalogue,
and, I believe, some maintenance and security work.

I'm not sure if it relates to BeOS/Haiku, but DragonFly BSD
left their FreeBSD-inherited "ports" for pkgsrc, as they didn't
have the manpower to maintain the increasing numbers of port
overrides needed as DragonFly BSD continues to diverge
from it's FreeBSD origin. Switching to pkgsrc made their
lives easier. (FreeBSD's ports being too FreeBSD-centric, I suppose,
so perhaps there's no real wisdom for us in -this- switch.)

Making a Jam based system similar to, or even better than,
ports, pkgsrc, or what have you, is possible I'm sure.
The real work is to maintain the software catalogue.

We still have to send BeOS/Haiku-related patches,
upstream, to the actual publishers of software.

The catalogue could make it easier to try bulk builds,
see what fails, and make efforts to fix the same kind of problems
in multiple software packages, instead of just a single application.

/Jonas.