[haiku] Re: the new link cursor, and mouse cursors in general.

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 13:55:14 +0100

On 2010-03-20 at 12:06:42 [+0100], Stefano Ceccherini
<stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2010/3/20 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Is an outline glow at all possible? (Or a tasteful color change?)
> >> Are we limited to black and white?
> >> What about size-constraints?
> >
> > We are currently using software cursors only, and there are no
> > constraints at all. You could have a giant elephant as cursor if you
> > wanted to.
> >

> Except that our cursor api wouldn't allow this, at the moment.
> Anyway, AFAIK video cards supported hardware color cursors and giant
> cursors for years, already

I've been considering to add a BCursor constructor that takes a BBitmap as
input. Would be easy. If we ever support hardware cursors again [personally
I believe we should skip all that and go directly to full 3D acceleration
based compositing, once drivers become available] ... we could have the
app_server handle this transparently. I.e. if a client program sets a
cursor that does not fit some hardware constraints, it could fall back to
what it does now.

Best regards,
-Stephan