[haiku] Re: the new link cursor, and mouse cursors in general.

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:05:14 -0400

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Justin Stressman <jstressman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Admittedly it's not nearly the level of quality as stippi's, but I was just
> trying to give an idea of what I was thinking to see what others might
> think?

I like your new link cursor and in general I agree with you that it
helps if the cursor has a more distinctive change when hovering over
links.

> This made me think about whether or not BeOS, and by extension Haiku, were
> just using the hand to be different... or whether there was a valid reason
> for not using the arrow like everyone else. Sometimes being different just
> for the sake of being different isn't necessarily a good thing.

While I definitely agree with your sentiment here, and I too have
thought about making the default Haiku cursor an arrow, there really
is no good reason to do that beyond "every OS other does that." In
fact Axel makes a good point that as a representation of your hand, it
sort of makes more sense if the cursor icon is a hand. Lastly we have
a certain "BeOS brand" that we want to maintain and the hand cursor is
part of that. If we change that the next thing you know we will get
rid of the yellow tabs. Maybe that will happen someday, but for now we
are trying to replicate BeOS R5, and BeOS R5 had a hand cursor and
yellow tabs as a major part of its identity.

--
Regards,
Ryan