[openbeos] Re: URL Preferences

  • From: "Jonas Sundstrom" <kirilla@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:32:34 CEST (+0200)

Phil Greenway (Sikosis) wrote:

> I think we'd like to see this intergrated into FileType ...

It is already part of FileTypes.

It has been for years.

It's not enough.

The URL types are not filetypes,
they simply piggyback on the same mechanism.

The URL feature is good, but it's got too low visibility,
resulting in a chicken&egg situation where
developers don't support the feature in their apps,
and users not knowing about the feature, or not
having enough apps to choose from to find it worthwhile.

What I want to acheive with the URL preferences
is to raise visibility, for devs and users, to get us out
of this chicken&egg situation, and provide a good,
proper preference app for this obvious non-filetype thing.

Apps that I know -don't- support the URL types:
Mozilla             (www)
Opera              (www)
NetOptimist    (www)
Get-It               (ftp)

Apps that I know -do- support the URL types
NetPositive   (www)
ArpTelnet     (telnet)
NetPenguin   (ftp)
RealPlayer    (realtime media streaming)

This list is probably incomplete.  (surely we have more apps?)
I have not included my glue apps, like MozillaOpener, since they
are just patches for apps that have not been finished, IMO.

The email apps have traditionally used the preferred app of the
text/x-email type, so I have omitted them from this comparisson.
I would prefer them to migrate to the mailto URL type,
since one might very well want to use separate apps for
opening text/x-email files and for sending email.

So, here's hoping I have convinced you that the URL prefs
I have created are indeed worthwhile. I certainly do.

/Jonas Sundstrom. ~ www.kirilla.com ~ www.kioki.com