[openbeos] Re: URL Preferences

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:29:57 CEST (+0200)

> > I would like to have that functionality build in into FileTypes,
> > but it could be much more prominent in there.
> > Would that be okay for you? :-)
> The URLs types are not filetypes, so the only reason
> they're in there is piggy-backing on the metamime db,
> and the Supported Types mechanism.

That's really a problem... would a user expect to be able to edit the
URL preferences in the FileTypes application? Probably not, so you're
right.
But I think that we have already too many preferences apps in the
current BeOS release. We could join them into groups (and put them in
an extra directory), or join the applications, like "Dial Up
Networking" should be part of the Network preferences, and "Menu",
"ScrollBar", ... should be in a Interface preferences application, etc.

But it's hard to do it right; it always has to be intuitive to find an
item to change - Windows is a good example of how you shouldn't do
this.

> Anyway, I don't really see how to make them more
> prominent in FileTypes, without making them oddly
> out of place.

You could have a special menu that would open the URL preferences
window - but I basically agree with you, the FileTypes application may
be a bad place to put it into - I am just not 100% sure about it.

Adios...
   Axel.