[openbeos] Re: The importance of good communications

  • From: "Haiku Security" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:10:06 -0400

I agree with Koki 100%.

There are a number of times I have wanted to contribute, however, there is absolutely no leadership when it comes to the portions of the project that are not code-oriented.

In the last month there has been no clear message as to:

which haiku logo is the official logo
what web cms are we going to use for the site. (it was so-called decided on drupal, now its plone? Who is in charge?)
who is in charge of the web team?
who is in charge of the creative team?
who is in charge of marketing communications?
who is in charge of business communications?

These may not seem like a big deal to the coders, however, the public/users are what matter. If the public sees the project as a go-nowhere chaos engine, then the public is going to stop caring. If the public doesn't care, then who is going to do work on the project?

Communications and marketing are what is going to get you new devs and contributors. A well designed platform for communications is what Haiku has needed for a LONG time. You AREN'T GOING to get R1 if no new talent comes on board!

We need to get/keep people excited. We need to give incentive to contribute. I've already been turned off a number of times due to the lack of leadership in a number of aspects in the project--this is exactly what you do not want. Especially from people who have a lot of drive and a lot of spare time.

Unified authoritative messages are desperately needed. It doesn't matter how you COME UP WITH THE MESSAGE! Thru collaboration or whatever. It just matters that it be consistent, and come thru a clear chain of command, and be separate from public debate until the message is actually formed!

I think you should take up Koki's offer of Marketing Communications director, and I would be happy to help him do the job.