[openbeos] Re: The importance of good communications

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:30:46 +0200 CEST

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > And one thing I found most untrue in your email is that of the open
> > development process. How could it possibly be more open? Are you
> > *seriously* not on the commit list? If you were, you would have
> > known
> > about
> > Michaels USB progress at the same time as everyone else, right when
> > it
> > happened. When Michael temporarily had no internet access, he even
> > went
> > through the hassle and wrote a lengthy blog entry, just to keep
> > everyone
> > informed. He even posted to this list about it!! IIRC, you were the
> > one
> > doing your development in private, and not right in the repository.
>
> Also, there are always many communication channels, you just can't
> possibly see them all. There are IRC sessions, there are mails
> (mostly
> on one of the lists, but private ones as well), we're sometimes even
> on
> the phone or meeting each other in person - does anyone really and
> honestly ask us to write and publish logs when we meet somewhere?
> That
> would just be ridiculous.

The PyPy <http://codespeak.net/pypy> have weekly (I /think/) meetings
on IRC where they discuss things, much like an ordinary meeting with an
agenda, a secretary and such. I think they have a hard limit on one
hour. These logs are then copied into their repository for public
consumption.

https://codespeak.net/viewvc/pypy/extradoc/minute/

Check out the rest of the .../extradoc folder, too.

-- Mikael
"Yeah, and if you get kicked out of that one youre going straight in
 the army where youll be sent straight to Americas latest military
 quagmire. Where will it be? North Korea? Iran? Anything's possible
 with Commander Cuckoo-Bananas in charge."           -- Homer Simpson