[openbeos] Re: The importance of good communications

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:11:16 +0200

Niels,

I'm sorry I have to say this, but I do think it's all in your head. Really.
The admin list is not the core developer list, it is the core Haiku
contributor list. Developers don't "hang out there" instead of hanging out
here. That really is not true. What is true, is that this list gets used
for discussing things that we don't want to discuss in public. Just to give
an _example_: if someone (from the core team) is critized, and it doesn't
belong here.

As for help with your work on the USB stack. Don't you understand the
simple fact that everyone had other stuff to do? I know it sucks if you
need help, but that is the truth and it doesn't even mean that no one wants
to help. For example, I read through all your code one day, but I simply
didn't have anything to contribute/help. Now Michael is helping with USB.
It has at least encouraged you to pick up work on the UBS stack again.
Wonderful! But how can you hold a grudge against anyone for not having
drawn their attention towards USB before? It is like holding a grudge
towards weather.

And one thing I found most untrue in your email is that of the open
development process. How could it possibly be more open? Are you
*seriously* not on the commit list? If you were, you would have known about
Michaels USB progress at the same time as everyone else, right when it
happened. When Michael temporarily had no internet access, he even went
through the hassle and wrote a lengthy blog entry, just to keep everyone
informed. He even posted to this list about it!! IIRC, you were the one
doing your development in private, and not right in the repository.

And you mentioned "official word". Is it only official when Michael Phipps
wrote it? Am I less official, even if I wrote the entire icon stuff? And by
the way, Michael did post an email on the subject, stating that what I said
was the official opinion (or something to that effect, because some other
people asked as well).

Please, there certainly are things which can be improved. But please keep
the discussion honest. (I mean to honestly analyse the cause of some
things, and if one can even do something about them. And don't post untrue
accusations.)

Best regards,
-Stephan