[haiku] Re: Python on Haiku

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 10:53:20 -0700

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Nick<tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So how is the state of python in haiku in general? Is there a python
>> version which works with haiku or BeOS in general? Is somebody still
>> maintaining python on BeOS?
>
> Yes, you can get Python for Haiku from:
>
> http://haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/
>
> You'll want the latest r1a1 version.
>
> I believe Python still fails some tests.
> Python should come with Haiku's Alpha release in the next 7-10 days
> time.
>
> Python port, for Haiku, is maintained over at:
> http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/dev-lang/python
>
> Software you can expect in the Alpha Release:
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/VoteAlpha1OptionalPackages
>
> Regards,

And for a detailed look at the current status, check the python
regression test wiki page on HaikuPorts:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/PythonRegressionTests
Many of the failing tests have already been reported as trac tickets for Haiku.
Since you're using scons you might be interested in the scons build:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/dev-util/scons
We've only taken limited looks at Python3.x so far, focusing on the
2.6.x branch for now.  If you'd like to help out, feel free to join
the HaikuPorts mailing list and we can discuss things there.  Note
that we keep patches for Python in svn at HaikuPorts to add support
for Haiku, as they are no longer accepting patches upstream on the 2.x
branch.
-scottmc