[haiku] Python on Haiku

  • From: Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 18:40:34 +0200

Got around to poke once again my nose at the testing images to get an
idea how the project is getting along. I had the idea to test a bit how
well my software would  compile already on this OS but I use SCons for
building which in turn uses Python. So I looked around a bit on the net
to get an idea on the current state of python support on BeOS in
general. I found some older packages for the 2.4 or similar version but
the links are all broken. I also stumbled across some mailing list posts
about python in connection with haiku but they didn't contain much
informations besides it might be possible. I tried compiling the 3.1
version to see how far it gets before breaking and it dies rather
quickly with 'LC_CTYPE' not being declared somewhere. So far nothing
unexpected as this is all work in progress.

So how is the state of python in haiku in general? Is there a python
version which works with haiku or BeOS in general? Is somebody still
maintaining python on BeOS? I've seen on BeBits mentioned "Donn Cave" as
the maintainer but the website is dead so I'm not sure if this became
MIA in the mean time.

I'd love to test my app on haiku. Not that it would run yet as 3D
support is not working in haiku right now but curious to know I'm
nevertheless :P

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland