[openbeos] Re: Hi from the PetrOS camp.

  • From: "Erik Jakowatz" <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:36:08 -0800

>What do *we* get out of this? Good question. My first question, too.
>First of all, we get someone who has actually written a TCP/IP stack.
One that
>sold a bunch of copies. I am sure that Jean would not turn that down.
Oh - and
>the help of someone who has built a kernel. I sure won't turn that
down. Plus, we

Technical expertise from *any* quarter is always welcome.

>get known in Australia, and we gain credibility and experience. Peter
is well aware
>that we are an open source project (MIT license, BTW). He knows that
anything that
>he contributes will be under that license. He also knows that we intend
to finish the
>kernel that we have started and give it away.
>
>It has crossed my mind, though, that Trumpet could well be the Red Hat
of Australia for OBOS.
>Just a thought.

That's a very cool thought. =)  Even with BeUnited as OpenBeOS' primary
distributor (hypothetically), having Trumpet as a partner will likely be
very advantageous for them as well.

>In any case, Peter, I welcome you. And I think that everyone else will,
too, when they come to understand
>the things that we have discussed, as explained above.

Indeed.  I hope Peter will forgive the community's generalized suspicion
of commercial entities; it's safe to say we were all rather *displeased*
with the way Be Inc. handled our beloved OS over the last year and a
half. =P

I think as long as the OpenBeOS team isn't spending an inordinate amount
of doing work which is only germaine to the Trumpet effort, it can only
be a win-win scenario.

My $.02,

Data is not information, and information is not knowledge: knowledge is
not understanding, and understanding is not wisdom.
        - Philip Adams