[openbeos] Re: Hi from the PetrOS camp.

  • From: David Sowsy <dsowsy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:39:56 -0500 (EST)

> Ok.  We're now being labelled as opportunistic I guess, although I was
> predicting that would happen sooner or later.
Sooner, apparently than later.

> Frankly, we've got our hands full just doing our own GUI and the Win32
> implementation.  I certainly believe its achievable and we have wide support
> across the industry if we meet the target.

Our goals are pretty clear, and our opposition isn't nearly as big
as yours. (The entire desktop and embedded systems market). uCOS-ii,
and a slew of other less-popular-but-useful embedded, non-embedded and
realtime and non-realtime OSes are out there. It wouldn't surprise me if a
majority of people on this list also have the book with source on
"Developing
Your Own 32-Bit OS".

> I will go back to my original statement that our expression of support for the
> BeOS community is that of offering a liferaft to them.

"Oh dear, save us, for the love of God!!! Help!"

... But seriously folks, we Be people don't live in a vacuum. Especially
us developers who are forced to compromise our ideals and use other
operating systems and develop in them and for them on a regular basis. We
know what odds are against us, and we're doing it anyway.

> While that may be
> interpreted as being opportunistic, I can assure you that it will probably
> make
> very little difference to our projected markets.

Good luck to you and your projects.

> I hope you are all aware that as long as the BeOS community languishes without
> future support for the current implementation of BeOS, its user base will
> slowly fade away.  As this interest wanes, so will the pool of capable
> developers who would be committed to giving BeOS a comeback.

Nah, capable developers are out there. The goal is to have R5
compatibility. We've got a pretty big list of people committing to
OBOS. IIRC the original Be team didn't have nearly as many people.

> I am somewhat saddened that we have been bundled in with all the other bad
> things that some companies have been renown for (lying, cheating, stealing
> etc).

You missed my point completely.

> I could have said "good riddance" to BeOS, but instead I saw a community in
> need,

Last time I checked we weren't a charity to take pity on, we are a bunch
of developers with a plan.

> one that has wanted to take up the battle against the software giants
> but wasn't able to, a battle that we ourselves share.
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter R. Tattam                            peter@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Managing Director,    Trumpet Software International Pty Ltd
> Hobart, Australia,  Ph. +61-3-6245-0220,  Fax +61-3-62450210

David Sowsy    .    /|\  BeOS Rebel and Coder   .  *  .
http://dsowsy.nanorevolution.com   .   *   .   *   .  .